Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Like a (crazy) bridge over troubled water


Stop singing now. This isn't about the song. I promise. Although I do love that song...but that's another story...

For those that know me, you know I have no love for bridges. It's the combination of height and water and knowing that at some point when I'm on one there will be an earthquake and my car will fall from the highness, into the water, and I'll be completely screwed. I do my best to avoid bridges, but sometimes, especially in the Bay Area, it's just not an option.

I work on the East side of the Bay. Driving to and from work is easy. No bridges. San Francisco is on the West side of the Bay. Driving to and from there from home is easy. No bridges. The problem arises when I need to get to San Francisco from work. BRIDGE.



A friend and I were discussing my, okay, let's just say it, phobia, and I'm pleased to announce that I think I can make things a little more crazy next time I cross a bridge - that will be Friday by the way.

My typical m.o. (that's modus operandi or method of operating) when crossing a bridge is this:

1 - unlock all doors.
2 - roll down windows and open sun roof (really a bummer if it's raining).
3 - unbuckle seat belt (yes, I know, there are laws, but I have my own law: when I fall from the bridge, I must be able to get out of the car).
4 - drive as fast as possible without being reckless and just get over the dang thing!!

Last year a friend pointed out to me how funny it would be if I got stopped in the middle of the bridge for speeding, with an add-on ticket of having no seat belt on. Because of course, having to STOP in the middle of the bridge would be a thousand times worse than just getting over it in a safe and seat belted manner. Yeah. Ha ha. Funny.

Tonight, another good friend (and recent recipient of a master's degree in counseling) gave me some new things to think about, and frankly, I am ALL for them!

1 - swim goggles - why hadn't I thought of this before? this would make seeing in the water MUCH easier.
2 - life jacket - OMG! brilliant! I must get one!!
3 - flask of whiskey - because as he said, when people survive things like falling from bridges into water, they're typically drunk; he suggested I get something where the flask would be encased in glass and I'd have to "break for emergency" - yeah, I think my friend's enabling me, but I'm totally okay with it.

Crazy? Probably. 

Entertaining? Indeed. 

Isn't that why you keep reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment